Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What A New Year.

I got into a car crash on New Year's Day. What a way to break in the new year, huh? My cant (Cousin/Aunt = Cant: My cousin who is old enough to be my aunt.) got a new car literally 2 weeks ago and not gonna lie it was a cute little orange car. Some kinks but liveable. And then, I "had" to drive it because apparently she'd had a terrible driving experience the day before and didn't want to drive, so that meant I had to drive. Unfortunately, it was foggy outside and that thing in the car that's supposed to get rid of the moisture on the windows wasn't working. I had been following my dad's SUV and I could barely catch up with him! We were in a 60 but I was going like 100 just to catch a glimpse of the back of his car! Obviously I slowed down once I could see him better but the moisture on the windows was too much and the fans just weren't working.  My cant was sitting in the passenger seat and, as much as I am obligated to love her, was just being plain stupid and wiped her side of the windshield. Yes, because that helps ALL of us. She eventually had the sense to wipe my side but then, she undid her seatbelt to wipe my side. 

It had been a good 5 minutes after this that i didn't see my dad due to the foggy windshield, not working car fan, and foggy outside when I realized that my dad was 50 meters away and I was getting close FAST. I slowly began to brake and it wasn't helping. I slammed down on the brakes but we weren't slowing down fast enough. her car didn't have the anti-lock brakes on them so we had nowhere to go but straight. And BAM! right into the back of my dad's SUV. First thing that came to mind was "CRAPPPPPP. I am SO dead." Second I checked if everyone was okay and I see this beautiful crack in the windshield and then it hits me: my cant hadn't bothered to put on her seatbelt. Although it was useless, I told her to put on her seatbelt right there, and a paramedic who lived across the street came to check on us. She pretty much took control of the situation and helped us out. But then, my dad came out of his car. 

And then I got scared.  He was coming! But he just checked if we were all okay and he asked me why I was so close. And I explained what happened with the fog everywhere and all was good. While we waited for the police to come, he pretty much told me what to say and then I realized the seriousness of the situation. I started to feel bad and tear up, BUT I didn't cry at that point because honestly, crying does nothing. So then of course at this moment where I'm scolding myself of the inside not to cry and convincing myself that it does nothing, my dad decides to give me a little lesson for the future and told me what not to do next time. So I couldn't hold it in and then he tried to tell me that I shouldn't cry because it's okay and then we had the mushy daddy-daughter moment, which I absolutely hated. I think that crying is such a sign of weakness and I really didn't want to cry at that moment. Ugh, I'm getting so angry just thinking about it now. After about an hour, everything was settled out and we were at our family friend's house so all was good. 

Two days later, my dad had a 'talk' with me about what was going to happen. He told me that once my cant got her new car, I was not allowed to drive it unless it was an emergency. This completely pissed me off. 
A) I never asked for her car. ever. I only drove it because my dad and my cant asked me to. NEVER did I ask to borrow her car. 
B) He made it sound like I was losing a special privilege but every time I drove it, it was for HER use, not mine.
C) He wanted me to apologize. COME ON DAD. It had been two days since the accident. I have enough sense to apologize to her. It's not like I don't have a heart. Geez.

Now, they're both driving rentals an I think by the end of the week they should be getting their cars back. But honestly, it just gets me angry. I didn't even want to drive that day! This could've been avoided  if she drove. I'm kinda pissed. 

On top of that, I have the sense to slow down in fog. Why I didn't use that common sense, I have no idea. But I am sorely angry because I know this.

Done with the rant. Sorry it was so long.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment