Wednesday night my parents picked me up from school. They were talking about the "bird in the back" and keeping it safe. I assumed they were talking about food. As in, they bought an expensive piece of meat or something and they were trying to decide where to store the frozen chicken or whatever it was at home. So we get home and my mom goes back to the car and pulls out a cage. In the cage: a bird. As in a pet. We haven't had a pet in so long, ever since the hamster catastrophe of '04. (My sister and I had hamsters. Hers tried to eat mine.) So we covered the cage, and went to bed. Thursdays I have a night class so I was home for the day. I woke up to what sounded like a mouse dying. I come downstairs, and there he is, our new pet bird, squawking its little heart out. I checked his food and water, then went to make myself breakfast. Of course, my presence excited him and he just never stopped. over the next hour I got so frustrated that I blasted the TV. He won. again. I then pulled out my laptop, played some songs and sang while dancing in front of my little enemy. He tried to compete, but oh no, I won this round. After that exciting event, I went up to take a shower. I guess he missed he because the whole time I was upstairs, I could hear him. I came down, refreshed and ready to fight, but he was quiet. I tried not to do anything that would excite him and played music quietly, watched TV quietly, and we had a good 2 hours of peacefulness. When my sister came home, I explained what I did to make him quiet, expressing my excitement of training him in silence! After told her the story, I then realized that
I had been the one who got trained.
I was the one who had to be considerate of
him, not the other way around.
Depressed and ready to leave, my dad came home with a 'surprise'. He gave me a box and told me to open it. SURPRISE: another pet bird. Clearly they were of different types of bird. But, to my dad a bird is a bird. He then put our new female bird in the cage, with my father's high hopes of mating. Come on, we are not pet people. We can't take care of one bird, much less two, and now he wants babies? Great. Fortunately, the new bird is a quiet one. She freaked out a bit at the beginning, but we're good now. This didn't quiet down, our original bird pet. He keeps squawking non-stop until now. I mean, I feel like I've adjusted, but now, frankly, I'm annoyed. They seem to be scared of my hands, and this morning I introduced our new pet to my amazing song & dance skills. Aha, she enjoyed that.
Time to go, I'm moving upstairs so I can watch TV in peace. I better get a treat for being such a good owner.
Love.
No comments:
Post a Comment